Tuesday 6 January 2009

Is it cold?

Now, far be it from me to question what a national news agenda should be, but surely, SURELY the fact that it's a bit cold isn't news is it? It's winter, it's always cold in winter. I could understand if we'd all had four foot of snow, but for the most part it's been a bit of frost and some low temperatures. I watched with some amusement a feature on GMTV this morning where they got the long suffering woman who presents it (I can't remember her name, but she's the one who didn't get Fiona Phillip's job - you know the one, went on the dancing programme) to dress up in suitable clothes for the winter whilst outside. Of course, there's a serious side to the cold, old people dying, heating bills etc... These all serve to remind us how miserable we should all be in these times of woe. And haven't Woolworths been having the long goodbye?! It feels like they've been shutting for around four years and oh the number of people who are mourning it's loss is tremendous, such a shame they couldn't shop there before it went into administration. I also note that the fact it's "such a shame" it's going hasn't stopped the hordes from going in there and buying the shelves off the wall. I do genuinely feel sorry for those who've lost their jobs though.

I'm feeling a little unsettled at the moment, I suspect it's the fact that it's a new year and the past 3 have been so similar they're interchangable. I feel like time is running out to do something spectacular, it's such a shame I don't know what that something is.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

I reserve the right to complain about how cold I am, but you're right, the weather shouldn't be front page news unless there's nothing else happening in the entire world. And that's just not the case.

G said...

I don't mind the complaining because most people don't do that on the news. I just think there HAS to be something else happening in the world.